Action and reaction, ebb and flow, trial and error, change - this is the rhythm of living. Out of our over-confidence, fear; out of our fear, clearer vision, fresh hope. And out of hope, progress.
- Bruce Barton
The Biopsychosocial Approach to Psychiatric Assessment, Diagnosis, Treatment & Counseling
At Potomac Psychiatry, when we evaluate our clients we seek answers using the "Biopsychosocial Model" of diagnosis and treatment.
Using this detailed and thorough evaluation process, we search for the biological factors that are contributing to your problems such as health status, medications used, genetic predispositions, alcohol and drug use, nutrition, and exercise patterns. We also explore the psychological factors such as unconscious influences, childhood traumas, and "emotional sticking points" from the past. We analyze social and environmental forces such as work-related stressors, and marital and family conflict. Finally, we probe for existential and spiritual factors to your emotional conflicts, such as "Do I have sufficient meaning and purpose in my life?"
Once we understand the contributions of all of these factors we explain them to you, and where appropriate to your family. We then collaborate with you to develop a mutually agreed-upon treatment plan.
Potomac Psychiatry also offers specialized services such as:
- Private waiting rooms available for "high profile" clients,
- An introductory telephone conversation with a doctor or therapist prior to scheduling your first appointment with them
- Psychotherapy for adults and senior executives,
- Child and adolescent psychiatry, and
- Individual, family, and couples therapy
- Geriatric psychiatry
- Medication management services for adults, children & adolescents, and senior citizens.
- ADHD coaching
- Alternative medicine
- Eating disorders
- Expert witness evaluations and testimony
- Anxiety therapy
- Group therapy
- Management and Organizational Consulting Services
- Second opinions
- Sexual addiction
- Substance abuse
- Suboxone Maintenance
Call us at 301.984.9791 to discuss your needs or to schedule an appointment.