Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.
- Winston Churchill
Elite athletes know that it is the mental training that gives them the edge over the competition. Many athletes train hard physically, but what can often separate top performers from the rest of the pack is their mental game.
Elite performers know the importance of training smart and training hard, being physically fit and being optimally ready for all performances – even life. But what about training for your mental game? Can you learn how to optimize your mind?
The answer is yes – you can train your mind, much like you train your body. Athletes of all ages and skill levels – from professional athletes to novice athletes – can benefit from sports psychology therapy. Sports psychology therapy is where sports psychology, the psychology of excellence and performance and traditional cognitive behavioral therapies combine to apply sound therapeutic techniques with knowledge & sports specific strategies gleaned from the sports & performance world.
Sports psychology therapy is where you can learn:
- how to stop letting negative thinking guide your actions
- how to recognize what’s hindering your athletic performance
- how to rebound from defeats
- how to use visual imagery to guide better performance
- how to mentally train for your unique challenges in your sport
If you’ve asked yourself any of the following, give us a call at 301.984.9791 as you might want to consider sports psychology therapy at Potomac Psychiatry:
- Do you feel burned out – like you’ve lost your passion/excitement for your sport?
- Do you feel like you are chasing others who consistently outperform you, even though you know you should be capable of beating them or at least matching their performance?
- Do you feel that you have peaked out physically but have not explored the power of your mind?
- Are you starting to doubt yourself and your athletic abilities?
- Are you training longer and harder but not smarter?
Potomac Psychiatry can help you rediscover your passion, excitement and confidence, gain your mental edge, and perform to the best of your abilities. In essence, we can help you optimize yourself.