Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
- Helen Keller
Psychological Assessment for Children and Adolescents
- Are you concerned by reports of your child’s behavior at school or in social settings?
- Is your child easily distracted and forgetful?
- Do you worry about your child keeping up with their classmates in school?
- Are they frequently falling behind in their homework assignments?
- Is your child showing increasing anxiety and frustration about school-related issues?
If your answer to one or more of these questions is “Yes,” then your child may be a candidate for psychological testing that will get to the bottom of what’s wrong, and how to fix it. Please call 301.984.9791 to contact us and schedule your Free 15-Minute Phone Consultation with our licensed psychologist, Dr. Marlena Wu.
Scientific research shows that up to 20% of children suffer from some sort of learning disability, and or psychological disorder. Uncovering these problems at an early age, and promptly taking corrective action, will enable your child to reach their fullest potential in both academic and social settings. For example, psychological assessments can be used to assist in detecting and arranging for special service needs in school, and preparing your child for greater success in their academic achievement and social engagement with peers.
Each clinical psychological assessment will consist of the following parts:
- You and your child will meet with the evaluator; Dr. Wu, for an extensive interview to discuss your child’s needs, and the appropriate tests to be given.
- Testing will be provided by Dr. Wu over the course of several sessions tailored to best gather information regarding your child’s abilities. Above all, she will make every effort to ensure that your child feels comfortable, and is able to perform well in the testing environment. Testing time typically ranges from six to ten hours.
- Parents will then meet with Dr. Wu to discuss the test results, diagnostic impressions, and recommendations. During this meeting, she will discuss areas of strength, and what actions could be taken to improve your child’s emotional well being and academic performance. Dr. Wu welcomes discussing any questions you may have at any time.
- A detailed report will be provided, including all findings, and recommendations for therapeutic interventions. You may choose to show this report to your child’s school or other healthcare professionals.
- Documentation supporting specific accommodations at school and for standardized testing (e.g. ACT, SAT) under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) can also be provided upon request.
Marlena Wu, Psy.D.
Marlena Wu, Psy.D. is a clinical psychologist with training and experience in providing psychological testing for children and adults. In Dr. Wu’s nine years of working in a university counseling setting, she has worked passionately on behalf of her clients to help them be granted disability accommodations, and the best way to maximize their effectiveness in the academic and workplace environment. She derives great personal satisfaction from helping clients achieve a better understanding of themselves, why they struggle academically, and how they can alleviate their struggles to achieve greater success. This experience has motivated her to extend her help to people of all ages, ensuring that they receive the best possible support and knowledge to maximize their educational success. Dr.. Wu strongly believes that psychological assessment can be a key part of that process.
Dr. Wu has extensive clinical and assessment experience with: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD); Depressive Disorders, Bipolar Disorder and other Mood Disorders; Anxiety Disorders; Autism Spectrum Disorder; Learning Disorders; Substance Use Disorders; Intellectual Disability. View complete curriculum vitae for Marlena M. Wu, Psy.D.
Want More Information On Psychological Assessments?
Visit Dr. Bruce Kehr’s blog at www.drbrucekehr.com. Enter a few keywords into the search engine location upper right hand corner of any page on the website! Dr. Bruce Kehr posts his own original blogs every week– each of which are devoted to helping you and your loved ones alleviate emotional pain, feel understood and cared about.
Schedule an appointment today!
The fundamental causes of your child’s problems aren’t always clear. Psychological assessments will allow you and your child to comprehend the issues, and discover the most appropriate ways to address them. Here at Potomac Psychiatry, our priority is to ease emotional pain, and take the best possible course of action to ensure that your child can reach their fullest potential. Please call 301.984.9791 to contact us, to discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. We look forward to meeting you!