If you would like to be coached to improve your ADHD symptoms and behavior, either in addition to or instead of your medication; or you would like to explore how we can help you receive accommodations at school, on standardized testing (such as the SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT or GMAT), or at your workplace; please call 301.984.9791 to contact us, discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. Our experienced professionals look forward to meeting you.
Some of the ADHD signs to look for are:
- Trouble with time management
- Difficulty paying attention to details
- Difficulty achieving goals
- Disorganized work habits
- Inability to sustain attention on tasks or activities
If you would like coaching to improve the symptoms of your behaviors either in addition to your medication or instead of your medication please call 301.984.9791 to contact us, discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. Our experienced professionals look forward to meeting you.
Specific Areas Targeted through building skills and coaching:
- Better managing time
- Breaking down tasks into smaller chunks
- Organizing yourself and your surroundings
- Rewarding yourself when tasks are completed
- Prioritizing the things most important to you
- Planning for the short- and long-term
Specific Areas Targeted by Therapy
While part of therapy will focus on skill-building and coaching, another part will focus on how aspects of some of your past experiences might underlie current problems and work with you on:
- Gaining self-awareness and insight
- Increasing self-esteem
- Improving relationships
- Learning about emotional barriers
- Increasing motivation
The Benefit of Coaching
Treating adult ADHD takes dedication and consistency from both the client and therapist. Our professionals will help you to recognize how you cope with your ADHD. They will also teach you new ways to cope based on your needs. They can help you to better achieve your goals by:
- Preparing and working towards success
- Realizing your options and prioritizing among them
- Establishing systems of support to help you through your challenges
- Helping you to feel accountable for your actions
- Celebrating your progress
- Monitoring your improvement
Additional skills our professionals will help you develop include:
- Reducing your distractions
- Improving your time management
- Recognizing when you are not achieving your goals
- Enhancing your social and communications skills
- Growing your network of support
- Setting better boundaries for yourself and others
- Overcoming, and learning from your setbacks
Meet Marlena Wu, Psy.D.
Dr. Marlena Wu is an empathetic and talented ADHD Coach, with extensive experience in improving the academic and workplace performance of adults and teenagers (age 15 and above) who suffer from this condition.
She is especially knowledgeable about how to assess for and receive accommodations for her clients under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
She is passionate about working with patients to help them achieve more effective outcomes and attain more confidence and self-esteem through identifying, developing, and implementing new daily routines. Her coaching focuses first on assessing the unique symptom presentation and academic/workplace challenges faced by her clients, and their strengths and weaknesses; and then providing useable techniques for time management, procrastination, positive study and work habits. This translates into a better home life as well for family members who live with ADHD.
Learn More about ADHD Coaching at Potomac Psychiatry
Call 301.984.9791 to contact us, discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. Our experienced professionals look forward to meeting you.