At Potomac Psychiatry, genetic testing is a simple, fast and painless procedure our doctors use to personalize your medication regimen. This test may provide more rapid, targeted, and effective diagnostic and treatment outcomes. Genetic testing can be very valuable for children, adolescents, and adults. Behind the scenes, our doctors leverage groundbreaking science and technology to generate and analyze your genetic profile. With careful analysis, our doctors can identify genetic markers that help predict how certain drugs are likely to affect you. The relationship between your genetic profile and various prescription medications and supplements will be explained to you. Our doctors will then describe the treatment options most likely to be compatible with your genetic makeup, and together you will agree upon your personalized medicine plan.
When your treatment plan will include medication or supplements, genetic testing is recommended. Genetic testing:
- Provides specific genetic information about you
- Reveals how your body is likely to respond to certain drugs and supplements
- Helps predict how certain drugs and supplements are likely to affect your mood, thinking, and behavior
- Enables our doctors to better target drug treatments – reducing trial and error
- Accelerates positive treatment outcomes
Requirements Prior to Scheduling Your Initial Consultation
- A treating primary care doctor or psychiatrist in your local area who is willing to provide your ongoing care, and to whom we shall release your medical information about the genetic test findings and our professional recommendations, following your initial consultation.
- A current diagnosis and any previously prescribed medications, so the Potomac Psychiatry doctor who will perform your consultation can complete their portion of the intake forms prior mailing you the genetic testing kit(s)
- If you do not have a diagnosis, you are able to self-pay without insurance. (please inform our staff if this is the case)
- Previously Tried Prescriptions
- Current Prescriptions
- A willingness to travel to our offices for your initial consultation
Your Genetic Test Results
Many patients discover that understanding their genetic profile brings a feeling of relief – finally they have an explanation for why they feel the way they do. For most, it’s their first view into some of Nature’s building blocks that make them who they are. Our doctors explain the test results and provide a matter of fact, science-based framework with which patients can better understand their conditions. Patients that undergo genetic testing appreciate that their treatments are based on additional scientific knowledge, and objective test results. As our doctors interpret the findings, many patients recognize for the first time that there are specific neurobiological reasons for their condition. Armed with this new understanding, and treatment in the form of personalized medicine, our patients feel more confident as they pursue their path to better health.
How is Genetic Testing Administered?
Genetic testing is simple, fast and painless.
- You make two appointments at our office
- On your first appointment we’ll explain the genetic test and swab your cheek to obtain your genetic material.
- Your genetic sample is analyzed and reported in 5 – 7 business days.
- On your second appointment we will review your report with you and discuss treatment options that are well-suited for your genetic profile.
Genetic Testing and Potomac Psychiatry’s Second Opinion Program
Dr. Kehr delivers the keynote address at the 2018 Women’s Health & Wellness Summit
Genomind In The News
Published on Dec 14, 2015
Genomind’s cutting-edge genetic testing featured on the Discovery Channel’s “Innovations” TV series.
We Look Forward to Helping You
Please call 301.984.9791 to discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. Our experienced professionals look forward to meeting you.