Nutrition, Supplements, and Personalized Medicine
You are unique, and the diagnosis and treatment of your condition should be based upon the principals of personalized medicine – which combines genetic, endocrine, and metabolic testing; and assessment of potential nutritional causes of inflammation.
If you have one or more of the following concerns:
- Current treatment of my emotional problems is not helping me as much as I would like
- I feel somewhat better, but could I improve even more?
- I still don’t feel like my old self, before I got ill
- Are there alternative treatments that could help me avoid taking medicine, or enable me to take less medication?
- I have responded to treatment and want to help prevent a relapse
- I want a nutrition-based treatment approach grounded in sound scientific research
Call 301.984.9791 to contact us and schedule a consultation
Dietary factors may be significantly impairing your emotional health. Proper nutrition is essential for normal brain function, and a carbohydrate-oriented diet creates increased inflammation throughout your body. In addition, your body may have developed circulating antibodies to specific foods, including gluten, that further promote inflammation. This inflammation exerts profoundly negative effects on brain function, including suppressing the manufacture of proteins that cause new brain cells to grow (“neurogenesis”), and that protect the brain from oxidative stress (“neuroprotective proteins”). The inflammation also suppresses the DNA in your brain cells that is responsible for protecting the energy production that powers cellular functions. These nutrition-mediated causes of inflammation are biological stressors that can create or worsen depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety disorders.
In addition, certain vitamin deficiencies can affect the micronutrient environment within the brain cells, further compromising brain function. Nutritional supplementation is a way to improve upon dietary modifications, and to further optimize psychiatric treatment. Supplements come in many forms and combinations. A thoughtful combination of supplements, based upon knowledge gleaned from genetic testing, may enhance the prevention and treatment of a number of emotional problems, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, substance abuse, eating disorders, ADHD, and dementia.
Types of Services Offered
- Nutritional counseling
- Genetic testing and vitamin assays to guide supplement selection
- Testing for “leaky gut syndrome”
- Gluten sensitivity assays
- Compounded medication supplements
Benefits from Proper Nutrition and Supplement Use
- You can achieve greater emotional and physical health through targeted treatment focused on proven methods of reducing inflammation throughout the body
- Proper use of nutrition and supplements can augment talk therapy and medication management approaches
- The strategies and treatments used are unique to each client and are customized to fit in with his or her needs and interests.