Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.
ADHD Coaching for Children and Their Parents
If you would like your child to be coached to improve their ADHD symptoms and behavior, either in addition to or instead of medication; or you would like to explore how we can help them receive accommodations at school, on standardized testing (such as the SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT or GMAT); please call 301.984.9791 to contact us, discuss your needs and schedule an appointment.
Raising a child who suffers from ADHD can be emotionally draining, and often leaves a parent feeling ineffective and helpless. For the child who comes to feel “different” than their peers, and “stupid,” damaged self-esteem and low self-worth often follow. The longer their symptoms persist, the greater the damage. And their ability to achieve their full potential will continue to erode.
Whether your child is at the early stages of initial diagnosis, or their inattention and impulsivity are already leading to problems at school, evidence-based solutions are now available here at Potomac Psychiatry. By combining sophisticated diagnostic assessments with parent skill-building techniques, we will coach you and your child toward achieving the best possible outcome.
Dr. Mark Novitsky has worked closely with hundreds of children diagnosed with ADHD and their families. His philosophy is quite simple – each child’s needs are unique – and each parent’s concerns must be thoroughly addressed. Some parents support medication management. Others wish to avoid the use of medication entirely. Not uncommonly, a combination of medication, child therapy, parent skills training, and accommodations at school may be the best course of action. In each instance, Dr. Novitsky will work with a child and their parents to design and implement a treatment plan as a partner and collaborator.
Parental Skills Training at Potomac Psychiatry may include (but is not limited to):
- Formal Psychiatric Assessment
- Psychoeducation – helping parents understand the neurobiology of ADHD and how ADHD affects their child cognitively, behaviorally, and emotionally
- Educational Supports Awareness – Aiding parents in navigating the process of requesting educational rights for supports/testing
- Empowerment for Parents – gaining knowledge, insight, and confidence to enable them to be competent and effective parents
- Effective Communication Techniques – teaching important communication techniques to establish an open, trusting relationship with their child.
- Conflict Resolution – avoiding back-and-forth arguing with their child and promoting compliance with expectations.
- Child Encouragement – building upon the child’s strengths, setting attainable goals, and implementing strategies to attack perceived barriers
- Appreciating Individuality – Aiding the child in understanding their unique way of thinking and learning.
Learn More about ADHD Coaching at Potomac Psychiatry
Call 301.984.9791 to contact us, discuss your needs and schedule an appointment. Our experienced professionals look forward to meeting you.